Thursday, January 27, 2005

So Sad, Too Bad

While I can appreciate the concern of Muslim-Americans that their civil rights might be violated, I don't really care. It's not that I am insensitive to the plight of those who are oppressed around the world and sometimes right here in this country. I understand their concern and if I was Muslim-American, maybe I would feel different, but I am not.

Here's my fairly simple take on this issue. If any American has to be inconvenienced for a few minutes while they are fingerprinted and checked against a database of known criminals and terrorists, then so be it. If I was a Muslim-American and I was returning from the hajj, I would want my government to know that I was not a terrorist. I am sorry that people are being upset but the needs of the many out weight the needs of the few or the one.

Now certainly there are limits to what I think any American should put up with in the name of National Security. Maybe it’s naiveté to expect people to understand that when entering a country, any country, your level of privacy is lower then when in the country. The Supreme Court has already ruled on this subject and a nation’s security concerns are greatest at its borders, hence the different set of rules for entry. Frankly it comes down to the fact that the security of this nation is far more important then hurting the feelings of a few. Later……………………..

No comments: