Wednesday, March 09, 2005

Soliders That Don't Quit

I ran across this article today when a co-worker sent me the link. I am absolutely amazed at the dedication and perseverance exhibited by the men and women of the United States Military. I have very few regrets in my life but the one that sits first and fore most in my mind is my decision to not serve in one of the armed forces. If I could go back and do it again I would have followed my younger brother and joined the army and done my service to this great country.

The fact that these men and women who have been horribly wounded in battle and strive to return to active combat duty and their brothers and sisters in arms is frankly beyond comprehension for most civilians. I think about the sacrifice of this young man and any problems I might have seem incredibly petty.

Some wounded soldiers are willing to do almost anything to get back into uniform. After Senior Airman Anthony Pizzifred, 20, lost his leg just above the ankle in Afghanistan last March, surgeons told him that the best prosthetic leg—one that would allow him to walk, run and wade in the ocean—was designed for those with more severe amputations. Pizzifred wanted maximum mobility as fast as possible. So he told his doctors to take off as much as they needed. They wheeled him back into the operating room and cut off his leg almost to the knee. Rejoining the service isn't necessarily a moneymaking proposition. Pizzifred says the Air Force would pay for a college education and a guaranteed mortgage if he retired, but he passed up the perks for a chance to serve overseas again. "I would have gotten more if I got out than I would by staying in," he says.

Some argue that regardless of the outcome of the war in Iraq and Afghanistan the decision was wrong. I read about these soldiers and others who are equally committed to our success and can’t envision failure for us on any level. The fight for ones freedom is never easy or cheap when measured in human life but as we now see in the Middle East, freedom is worth fighting for. John F. Kennedy said it pretty well once and I think it goes something like this, “Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and success of liberty.”

For those in this country and abroad that wish this country ill I have this advice, keep on wishing but remember that A is A and all of your wishing will not change reality. I want to thank all the members of the U.S. Military for their service may God continue to bless them. Have a great day everyone.

No comments: